Monday, October 28, 2013

Day 28 Emerald Springs to Adelaide River 90 kms.

Everyone was up early as usual, no sleep ins on a Cycle Across Oz adventure. The plan today was for the group to head towards Hayes Creek Roadhouse grab a coffee or bite to eat. Then about 3 or 4 kms past Hayes Creek take a left hand turn onto the"Old Stuart Hwy" for the normal morning tea at approx 50k and then a gentle ride into Adelaide River. Not so gentle as there were lots of ups and downs, including a decent"Jump Up" which had a pretty severe gradient.
Kathy cycled today and here's her recollections: It was a lovely riding day and the girls decided to stay with me all the way even though I begged them not to hold back but cycle like the wind. It was very nice having the company and I think Melanie enjoyed the slower pace also. Annie kept disappearing, not in front of us but behind us- she was waiting to get a clear run down some of the steeper hills. I was pleased with my ability to climb all the hills today but I did pull up a little short of the 50 k mark as Collis caught us before then so I climbed in the truck. Anthony, our son, and his passengers caught us as we were putting the bike up on the trailer and I think they were just a little impressed with his old mum. I was worried about this 'jump up' but thankfully I didn't have to attempt it.

Temperatures were starting to climb and humidity was sticking around. Just last week Adelaide River received 100ml of rain and the locals were convinced that it was the last rain and were looking forward to the"Dry".
Everyone in camp around midday. Some of the group were planning a visit
Litchfield National Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment